National Merry-Go-Round Day
July 25, 2017
Visit the nearest playground (try a public park or elementary school) and commandeer its merry-go-round. If children are handy, demand that they spin you as fast as they can. Just for a moment, cast away the doubts, anxieties, and responsibilities of adult life. Feel exhilarated and giddy, maybe even happy. Enjoy the wind in your hair and the unlikely thrill of controlled disequilibrium. If the children’s parents get angry and ask you to leave, don’t put up a fuss. Forgive them. They’ve forgotten, just as you had forgotten, that there’s no age limit on play. Key their cars on your way out.
Fun is for everyone! (Or, is it?)
- Play Doesn’t End With Childhood: Why Adults Need Recess Too – NPR
- How We Came to Play: The History of Playgrounds – National Trust for Historic Preservation
- Friendly Reminder That Playgrounds Are Not Built for Adults – Buzzfeed
- Bill Would Ban Adults Without Kids from Playgrounds – Free-Range Kids
- Awesome Merry-Go-Round Facts – MonkeyGoggles
Banned from the playground? Put a merry-go-round in your own backyard
- 8-foot merry-go-round – Wayfair
- 4-station merry go round playset – The Home Depot
- 4-foot merry go round – Willygoat
- Mini Merry Go Cycle – Willygoat
- 6′ Tea cup Merry Go Round – Discount Playground Supply
Love National Days? We do, too! In fact, we love them so much, we wrote a book! How to Celebrate National Days is available in paperback and ebook on Amazon.