National Talk in an Elevator Day
July 28, 2017 (Last Friday in July)
Today, defy convention and strike up a conversation with whoever happens into your building’s elevator. Listen intently when they speak. Ask thoughtful questions and provide insightful observations of your own. Ignore the obligations that brought you to this building and, instead, remain inside the elevator. Ride for hours. Make yourselves comfortable. Sit on the floor. New riders will come and go, and some may even join you. Make room for them. Build a small campfire in the elevator (protip: prop open the emergency door in the ceiling to allow smoke to escape), toast some s’mores, and tell some ghost stories. You’re going to have an awesome day.
Links & Learning
Indoor camping is a thing. We didn’t just make it up.
- 11 DIY Ways to Camp Indoors When the Weather Outside is Frightful – Mashable
- Your Ultimate Guide to Indoor Camping – Hello Giggles
- Rained Out? Bring the Campout Indoors – How Stuff Works
Elevator safety is also a thing. Be safe out there.
- Elevator safety tips from the National Elevator Industry, Inc.
- Elevator Plunges Are Rare Because Brakes and Cables Provide Fail-Safe Protections – The Washington Post
- Things You Don’t Know About Modern Elevators – Gizmodo
Making friends can be hard, but here’s some help.
- 10 Ways Even Introverts Can Make Friends at Work – Entrepreneur
- Feeling Lonely? 4 Ways to Make Friends at the Office – TheMuse
- Psychologist Share the Secret to Making Friends at Work – Business Insider
Storytelling is an art form. Git gud!
- How to Tell a Story – a playlist of six talks from TED
- How to Tell a Good Story – Forbes
- How to Tell a Great Story – The Art of Charm
Art Appreciation (and/or some light shopping)
Selected elevator-related art prints from Society6.
- 138 Elevator Doors by Wendy Rombough
- The Girls in the Elevator by Sigurdfisk
- Greetings from Hungary by Zsolt Vidak
- Misfit by Samuel Chen
- Elevator by Clayton Jones
- 2:38 AM by Mako Miyamoto
Love in an Elevator by Aerosmith
Like living it up while you’re going down? Check out our book How to Celebrate National Days. It’s now available in paperback and ebook on Amazon.
National Days Questionable Advice & Information adulthood adulting advice diy elevator elevators facts how to how to celebrate how to celebrate national days indoor camping life National Days offices stupid national days trivia work workplace