How to Celebrate National Sponge Cake Day
Fire up Netflix and treat yourself to an extended marathon of The Great British Bake Off. Learn all about various types of sponge cakes. Form opinions about batters, icings, and soggy bottoms. Become deeply invested in the individual contestants and the outcome of the competition.
Take a break from your marathon to grab a beverage. Walk into the kitchen only to find a single, bare light bulb hanging from the ceiling, and an old stone pedestal with a shiny red button atop it standing in the middle of the floor.
Do not press the button. Close your eyes, take a deep breath, and focus. You’ve been here before. You’ve pressed the button before. You don’t want this.
With your eyes still closed, turn away from the pedestal and start walking. Walk until you hit a wall. Feel along the wall for a door or window or any sort of opening. Find nothing.
Walk back toward the pedestal. Look up at the dangling light. Where its cord meets the ceiling, you’ll just be able to make out the outlines of a hatch, like you might see at the top of an elevator.
Climb onto the pedestal. Be careful not to press the button. Grab the cord and pull. The hatch will fall open, revealing blinding sunlight.
Jump through the hatch. Pull yourself up and out into the light.
This is our eighth Narrative Day – a post featuring a light narrative that threads through other national days.
Previous entries, in order, were:
- National Fresh Breath Day
- World Lighthouse Day
- National Book Lovers Day
- National Garage Sale Day
- National Creamsicle Day
- World Photo Day
- National Radio Day
Narrative Days will be intermittently sprinkled throughout the month. We hope you’ll stay tuned to see what happens next.
A selection of “cake girls” by Kelly Gilleran:
- Cake Girl – Angel Food by Kelly Gilleran
- Cake Girl – 2 by Kelly Gilleran
- Cake Girl – Bundt by Kelly Gilleran
- Cake Girl – Lemon by Kelly Gilleran
- Cake Girl – Chocolate by Kelly Gilleran
Links & Learning
All about sponge cake
- Sponge Cake History – What’s Cooking America
- The Wide World of Sponge Cakes – Food52
- Types of Sponge Cakes – Cooks.com
- 7 Best Sponge Cake Recipes – Food&Wine
- A Classic Victoria Sponge Cake Recipe – The Spruce
About The Great British Bake Off
- About the Show – Great British Bake Off Official Site
- The Genius of The Great British Bake Off – The Guardian
- Britain Is Losing Its Sh*t Over This Meaningless Baking Competition, and Now We Are Too – GQ
- 7 Books to Read If You Love the Great British Bake Off – Penguin
Come with Me and Escape
- How To: Get Out of a Locked Room – Apartment Therapy
- How to Escape Your Life and Begin Again – Huck Magazine
- How to Escape the Awful Feeling of Being Trapped in Life – Alternet
You’ve escaped the button… for now! What happens next? Follow FMTCD and receive an email notification each time a new post goes live…
National Days Questionable Advice & Information absurd absurdism advice art prints bad advice cake creative writing escape fiction flashfiction great british bake off indie artists microstory nanofiction narrative national day National Days society6 sponge cake stories storytelling writing